[VIDEO] Modern Data Management Needs a Governed, Self-Service Approach

article in French

IT Pros, have you felt left out of technical lately? Yes? You are not the only one. According to the Qlik-CXP 2016 Barometer, 34 percent of IT and BI executives are involved in data-related projects.  Discover our video that illustrates how real self-service helps IT take more initiative.

It is the heart of the digital transformation. However, much of today's data is unused. In fact, IDC estimates that less than 1 percent of the data produced in the world is analyzed. McKinsey, only 7 percent of employees' digital potential is currently achieved. According to Blue Hill Research, up to 80 percent of a data analysts' time is spent preparing data, leaving only 20 percent of time for analysis.

IT, excluded from digital transformation?

Finally, in the face of massive expectations, it does not always provide the right answer. Its use.

This centralized governance is not adapted to the new situation: data management is the business of several stakeholders rather than that of a single specialist. The Chief Data Officer (22%), the Chief Financial Officer (22%) and the Chief Marketing Officer (14%). It says the CDO are involved in 42% of the boxes, etc.

These new roles need everything right away. Giving these business users the ability to be autonomous, and take control of data with intuitive tools to collect, optimize, analyze and integrate it in order to extract value. They do not want to be passive in front of an IT department that teams them with predefined reports. It sounds like self-service, right?

IT, at the heart of digital transformation

The aim of these studies is to provide a framework for the protection of women. For example, an HR employee will be more freely on sensitive data in SAP that he knows well, but only time records but not salaries.

Alternatively, a marketing consultant will use his / her marketing campaigns to promote his or her career.

Alternatively, if IT validates the data files between the different employees of a department by anonymizing confidential information and automates their injection into Netsuite without human manipulation-but that creates more work for IT.

It sounds like governance, right?

Governed self-service, a must-have for IT departments

Indeed, a new approach to data governance is emerging: governed, self-service, with IT frames, protects and transforms the freedom of business users by multiplying their power over the data.

The trades immediately access the reliable sources of data, clean, transform, enrich and share them with simple tools to use. IT provides self-service access and clean-up of data without compromising compliance. It propagates a single version of the truth in the business, encouraging the exploitation of business expertise where it is and extending it to the entire enterprise.

A new IT - Business collaboration is established on the basis of governed, self - service, avoids the eternal "ping - pong" over dataset between data analyst and IT, Of the digital transformation.

Discover our video in the real-life situations.

About the Author

Francois Lacas is Product Marketing Manager at Talend. As a hands-on strategist, he is passionate about driving Digital Transformation and Modern Marketing to business increase contribution, since the early 2010s. Prior to joining Talend, he was Director of Marketing & Digital Transformation at Wallix – a public cybersecurity software vendor - and at ITESOFT – a public ECM / BPM software vendor. As part of his various roles, he regularly writes blog articles and presents at events and tradeshows. Get in touch with him on LinkedIn and on Twitter @francoislacas.


Leave a comment

Add new comment

More information?